I get a lot of email from right-wingers trying to "straighten" me out on the facts. You know the facts .. like that Obama "is a terrorist," and that he's "a Muslim" and that he's not even an American citizen.
The other day one of these characters told challenged me.
Right-winger: Steve, you know Obama wasn't even born in the United States."
Me: Yes he was. He was born in Hawaii.
Right-winger: Then why can't anyone find his birth certificate?
Me: Nonsense. If that were true reporters would have been all over it like stink.
Right-winger: I'll bet you a dollar you can't find a birth certificate for Obama in Hawaii.
(So I went on line and in less than 2 minutes found the damn thing, copied it and emailed it back to him. with a note:
Me: You owe me a buck." (Click image to right to enlarge)
Right-winger: And you believe that's real? It's fake.
Further proof you can lead a jackass to the well of truth but you can't force him to drink.
Known and very popular cialis coupon which gives all the chance to receive a discount for a preparation which has to be available and exactly cialis coupons has been found in the distant room of this big house about which wood-grouses in the houses tell.
So many of the knocks on Obama from the right are so outrageous, so transparently false that I've wondered -- are the people who embrace the claims as gospel mentally ill, or is there anything really behind these charges?
Well, I will give the believers the benefit of doubt and just classify them as "misinformed." But the Right's Misinformer-in-Chief is crazy -- and that's not me saying so:
"(Martin) is a law school graduate, but his admission to the Illinois bar was blocked in the 1970s after a psychiatric finding of “moderately severe character defect manifested by well-documented ideation with a paranoid flavor and a grandiose character.” (The official document itself HERE)
That little nugget comes from a NY Times profile of Martin published today. (Of course, since this story appears in Satan's very own liberal media outlet, many right-wingers will simply dismiss this story out of hand.) (Full story here)
The Man Behind the Whispers About Obama
By JIM RUTENBERG
The most persistent falsehood about Senator Barack Obama’s background first hit in 2004 just two weeks after the Democratic convention speech that helped set him on the path to his presidential candidacy: “Obama is a Muslim who has concealed his religion.”
Until this month, the man who is widely credited with starting the cyberwhisper campaign that still dogs Mr. Obama was a secondary character in news reports, with deep explorations of his background largely confined to liberal blogs.
But an appearance in a documentary-style program on the Fox News Channel watched by three million people last week thrust the man, Andy Martin, and his past into the foreground. The program allowed Mr. Martin to assert falsely and without challenge that Mr. Obama had once trained to overthrow the government.
Among the story's other revelations:
- An examination of legal documents and election filings, along with interviews with his acquaintances, revealed Mr. Martin's web site (FreeRepublic.com) is the source of a constant flow of scintillating, while often untrue, claims.
- In 1993 he was featured on the CBS News program “48 Hours” which devoted an hourlong program to Martin's prolific filing of frivolous lawsuits. He has filed so many lawsuits that a judge barred him from doing so in any federal court without preliminary approval.
- He prepared to run for Congress in Connecticut, where paperwork for one of his campaign committees listed as one purpose of his run as, “to exterminate Jew power.”
- When running for president in 1999, he aired a television advertisement in New Hampshire that accused George W. Bush of using cocaine.
- In the 1990s, Mr. Martin was jailed in a case in Florida involving a "physical altercation."
- Over the years he has left a trail of acrimony political opponents, lawyers and judges with his anti-Jewish Semitic comments. Court papers support claims that Martin has often and openly impugned Jews. A motion he filed in a 1983 bankruptcy case called the judge “a crooked, slimy Jew who has a history of lying and thieving common to members of his race.” In another motion, filed in 1983, Mr. Martin wrote, “I am able to understand how the Holocaust took place, and with every passing day feel less and less sorry that it did.”
"When asked Friday about an assertion in his court papers that “Jews, historically and in daily living, act through clans and in wolf pack syndrome,” he said, “That one sort of rings a bell.”
He said he was not anti-Semitic. “I was trying to show that everybody in the bankruptcy court was Jewish and I was not Jewish,” he said, “and I was being victimized by religious bias.”
So, mystery solved. Those crazy allegations about Obama's heritage, religion and citizenship are crazy. They are cooked up by a guy who, in the kindest terms, suffers from a "severe personality disorder." His outrageous and often untrue charges are then and believed by those out there that demographers and pollers now discretely refer to as "low information voters."
“What he’s generating gets picked up in other places,” said Danielle Allen, a professor at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton University who has investigated the e-mail campaign’s circulation and origins, “and it’s an example of how the Internet has given power to sources we would have never taken seriously at another point in time.”
So if you're related to any of these low information voters -- and aren't we all -- send them the link to this story so at least they can nolonger claim the liberial media is hiding the true facts about Obama from voters. The "liberal media" likes a good scoop as much as FOX News and the Washington Times. So, if Obama were actaully guilty of any one of the charges that flow from Andy Martin's "moderately severe character defect"- ive imagination, it would be the biggest scoop of the campaign. And I don't know even the most liberal journalist who wouldn't want that scoop for him or herself.
Hell, I'd even come out of retirement for a crack at that one.
by Stephen P. Pizzo The War: Jenna & Barbara Bush will not be part of their dad's troop surge. Ditto for any member of the Cheney clan. ...
by Stephen P. Pizzo The Washington media spent the holidays trying to guess what the President's new plan for Iraq might be. Meanwhile in the...
by Stephen P. Pizzo At the moment all the focus is on what George W. Bush is going to do about the mess he's made of Iraq. But the larger...
by Stephen P. Pizzo Well it's a new year, and you know what that means... time to update the administration's list of stated reasons for it's...
by Stephen P. Pizzo Traditional conservative, William F. Buckley was once asked how he would describe a “liberal.” He thought for...
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites